Sunday 22 April 2012

Bread Revolution - English Muffins and Eggs Benedict

As I'm not keen on chocolate my Mother-in-Law gave me £10 for Easter rather than buying me an egg and with it I bought Bread Revolution which is written by Duncan Glendinning and Patrick Ryan. I've wanted the book for a few months after following the guys on twitter @thoughtfulbread and seeing them re-tweet all the pictures that people send them of delicious breads they have made.

This is my third recipe from the book, the first being the plain white loaf and the second being flatbreads. I didn't take many photographs of them and will dig them out and add them to the blog at some point. I really fancied trying the English muffins this week.

They are surprisingly easy to make. You start the dough like a scone dough by rubbing the fat into the flour, I mis-read the recipe and added tablespoons of butter rather than teaspoons but it didn't seem to affect the bread at all. Then you add your milk mixed with yeast. My first two attempts at bread have not been wet enough so I added slightly more milk than the recipe stated (as advised by the guys on twitter - thanks for the tip!) and the dough was gorgeous when I was kneading it. It took me around 20 minutes kneading to get to the 'windowpane' stage before the dough goes off for the first rise.

You then shape the dough into balls before the second rise. I made half the mixture (as usual) and made six muffins.

You then fry the dough for a couple of minutes each side in butter and oil before transferring to the oven for 10 minutes to finish the baking and here is the result - delicious!!!

After I made them I wanted to have them with my dinner but couldn't decide what to do. The book also has a recipe suggestion for each bread and for the muffins it was Eggs Benedict. Well I love eggs benedict but have never tried a hollondaise sauce before but the ingredients were all to hand and I had to do was pop down the road for some bacon and our dinner was sorted.

I was so pleased with the sauce. I must admit it did split initially but the book gives great advice for rescuing it. I also poached an egg successfully for the first time in water (I usually use a poach pod) following their steps. What a delicious meal, I know it should be for breakfast but it made a great Saturday night meal while we watched the Voice.

It's a great book and I intend to try a recipe a week (if I can) as each time they are gettting better and better!

No comments:

Post a Comment