Friday 11 May 2012

Bread Revolution - Bagels

So you know I'm loving my Bread Revolution book, last week I decided to try my hand at the bagels. I love bagels as does my family but we have always bought then and the whole boiling issue has always put me off even attempting them. Filled with enthusiasm and the excellent instructions and past results from this book I decided to give it a go.

You start off by making a dough which is the same as usual however it had honey in it. Unfortunately I had no honey in and so used a bit of golden syrup as an alternative.

After the first rise you shape into balls and then stick a hole in the middle and leave for the second rise.

Then after they have risen you boik them in water for two minutes on each side. This wasn't too difficult at all although you can see from the picture that my shaping leaves a lot to be desired.

After boiling you add any toppings you want and they go in the oven for baking.

And here is the finished product.

I can safely say they were AMAZING. We loved them, so soft in the middle but nice and firm on the outside. They are better than any bagel I have ever purchased and I will be making them again. Mr DJ was away for the night when I made them and sadly they were hard as rocks the next day (I had saved him two!) so I would say that you should only make as many as you need (although I presume they could be frozen?). I will be making these again and this time I will put a topping on some of them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment